Friday, February 4, 2011

Add to the list.

the ethan saga continues!  my sweetheart is sure giving his momma a run for her money!
 so here's the latest and greatest. ethan has always had eczema among his other issues. Jackson has it too - still does, so it's not something i'm unfamiliar with. however, after his 6 mos vaccines/flu shot on wed - he's been getting some pretty weird looking scaly rough patches all over his back... well, it's been getting worse and worse. Yesterday, I was feeding Ethan and he took 2 bites of his cereal and threw it ALL UP all over the place - I had to take his clothes all off and saw that it was WAY worse than ever before. Definitely some sort of reaction or something, so I started getting a little panic-y. So I called and got an appt to see a pediatrician - not my ped but the same clinic and i didn't care - i just wanted to know what was going on, pronto! So Ry came home for lunch and watched Jackson and I took off to the doc. Doc looks at him and tells me he has a double ear infection! WHAT!? He's been pretty snotty since his last appt but I had NO idea he had an ear infection! I immediately felt like the worst mom in the world. I knew something was wrong but thought he may have just had an allergic reaction to something... Doc said that more than likely, the eczema flaired up due to the infection - he said it's hard to tell what that is from - but sometimes our bodies have special ways of alerting us to things! Good thing is that we caught the infection very early - since he was just in a week ago and didn't have anything wrong... He prescribed me antibiotics for the ear infection and some special cream for his back/chest/neck where the flair up has occurred. Poor poor baby boy. Makes me sick to think my 6 month old has an ear infection. I feel like I've somehow "allowed" this to happen, despite being very careful - I guess you just can't control everything. He's been a trooper though. He's obviously in some pain and was very restless last night, but overall, did a good job. Doc also suggested i give him benadryl - which i always thought was a huge no-no til they were two years old but both pediatricians said 1/2 tsp is ok for him. I'd rather not just cuz I'm scared but when he was so aggravated last night, I did give him 1/4 tsp. Going to try to avoid it today but he's on a tylenol/motrin rotation, so that should help ease his pain a little. I'm praying for a super speedy recovery. Still can't believe my 6 mos old has a double ear infection... Boo.


 
Ethan Chase Stearle: 6 mos, 1 week old. 
I cannot even begin to explain my love for this baby boy. 
I'm truly the most blessed mommy ever.

2 comments:

Carman said...

Poor Ethan! Laine has those same scaly patches all over her back. Her doctor prescribed some ointment, which has seemed to help a little, but it still hasn't gone away. I'm anxious to hear if Ethan's goes away and what cream your using.

Bless his heart! I hope his ear infections go way soon!

Connie said...

Hey, sorry he is not feeling well. I know you don't want to do the Benadryl, but it will help his reaction to the shots and you won't have to give it to him forever. Colton recently had the same reaction to an antibiotic and we were told to give him 1/2 tsp of Benadryl until his reaction was gone since it was an allergic reaction and the Benadryl is for allergy type stuff. Hope he feels better soon!