Monday, January 19, 2009

My crown is officially moulded!!

On Friday, Keisha took Jackson up to Springdale and dropped him off at her mom's house for the weekend so that her and I could tackle some projects in the house without disturbing the baby. Keisha, the organized one, had a list of things that she wanted us to do that was almost two pages long!! Unfortunately, we didn't manage to cross everything off of the list, but I think that we made a serious dent in it. I spent the vast majority of the weekend tackling probably my biggest home project to date: installing crown moulding throughout most of my downstairs. Our house already had moulding in our bathroom and the guest bathroom upstairs, but we felt that it would look much better if we capped off the rest of the downstairs to match. I ended up doing the master bedroom, living room, dining area, and the kitchen - a total of almost 200 linear feet of moulding! I had never done this before, so I did a lot of studying online to figure out just how to get it done. Here are some pictures that tell the story:
This is me building the stand for my mitre saw -
I spent A LOT of time at the beginning watching You Tube videos of people installing moulding!

Day 1, I was a one man crew (and I got all of our bedroom done)


On Day 2, my friend Mark came over to lend a helping hand, and I could not be more appreciative!! Day 2 was a much bigger job, and I would have never gotten it done without his help. I was up until about 2:00am finishing everything up, and he stayed here almost that whole time - THANKS A TON, MARK!!


After getting all of the pieces hung and siliconed to the ceiling, all of the nail holes and joints had to be spackled and sanded down, and everything had to be taped on the top and bottom to be ready for painting...
The paint finally goes on...

...and this morning the tape finally comes off!
Here are some gratuitous before and after shots:
Before...

...after!
Before...
...AFTER!
Before...
...AFTER!
Finally, here's a pan shot of our tiny kitchen. Before...
....AFTER!

I personally like how the moulding I put on the ceiling matches the moulding that was already on the top of our cabinets. That actually turned out to be an accident!! I probably should have checked that before I bought anything! =)







3 comments:

Kara said...

It looks great! You all did a great job, can I hire you to come do my house? :)

Brandon Oliver said...

Your Bob Villa game is strong.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. It looks great Ryan!