Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Jackson's First Purchase...

A few months ago, we started an "allowance" program with Jackson. I know there's a million different variations of this, but we chose to do it in an all-or-nothing type system.  We gave him a list of chores and he has to complete every single chore each day.  Upon completion of every chore, he gets $1 for the day.  So at the end of the week, he could have earned $7.  Of whatever money he earns for the week, he has to put $1 in tithe and $1 in savings and the rest is his to spend.  His chores include making his bed, keeping his room clean, cleaning the playroom each night before bed, and cleaning the litter box.  He does a REALLY good job, but he's not AT ALL motivated by money.  At least he wasn't... Until I showed him the Amazon Wish List I had started for him a long time ago... Well, then it all changed.  He saw several things he "HAD" to have (his words.)  So I helped him narrow down the things he "had" to have to a few that were $20 and less.  He decided he really wanted this Star Wars Lightsaber nightlight with remote control.  He saved his dollars, and bought it himself!  It's a very very proud moment for me... because being my firstborn, he usually gets what he wants without having to wait or earn it... and that's not the life lesson I want to teach him, so we are both learning in the power of patience.  May the force be with us.  :)

1 comment:

Connie said...

we need to do this also! great job Jackson and mommy!