Saturday, May 1, 2010

Big Boy Bed, Day 1

So last night was a BIG night!! After a lot of encouragement from my friend Emily, I decided to give the "big boy bed" a try! We were going to start tonight instead of last night but Ryan has other plans and I had Bunco last night - so Ryan said he would take on the challenge. I have not been this nervous about anything w/ Jackson since he was a baby and I laid him down on his belly to sleep. So my mom let us borrow her twin mattress as a test run.... Ryan took the crib out of his room and put it in Ethan's room. He put the mattress in the same place in his room where the crib WAS and we put a baby gate on the outside of the door - just in case - since Jackson is upstairs. I'd hate for him to wander around the house - especially the stairs when we're sleeping. So I left for Bunco warning Ryan that I will be checking on Jackson's progress. We had the plan: Supernanny style with walking him back in the bed and telling him to stay in bed and leaving the room, again and again..... until he got it. So around 830p, I texted Ryan - how was it?
His response verbatim: Perfect. He went straight to sleep. I am the greatest.

I thought - he's so lying. He just wants me to stop worrying and have fun while I'm here but Jackson is probably screaming his head off in the background.... at the gate, yanking and tugging the gate.... it must be bad based on this over-the-top response. So I asked if he was serious and to tell me the truth.

His response verbatim: I took the crib out and put the mattress where the crib was so everything was like it usually is. We read and I laid him down, just like usual. He laid awake for about 10 minutes, then fell asleep.

WHAT!? Are you serious!? My crazy rambunctious child who moves ALL over the crib to sleep and stands there waiting on us when we get him in the morning? What!?

So when I got in - around 11pm - Ryan was still awake. Said Jackson did perfect. He did have to go up there once but not because Jackson got out of bed, but because he was coughing so much it was upsetting him and he was crying and coughing so Ry checked on him. We did that again around 230am but again, only because he was coughing - I guess he's getting sick w/ all the hacking but he never got out of bed! This morning, when J woke up - almost 8am (an hour later than normal!) - he sat there, Thomas in hand of course, waiting on the bed for us to come get him. He still didn't get out of the bed until we got in the room! Unbelievable!!! I can't believe I doubted him so much! He did AMAZING!

No comments: