My days as a shampoo salesman are officially numbered. Two weeks ago, I accepted a new position as a National Account Manager with The Coleman Company, and I start on Tuesday, May 3rd.In case you haven't heard, my current company (Alberto Culver) is being acquired by a MUCH larger competitior of our, Unilver. The deal has not yet closed so it has been business as usual around the office, but I made the decision to look for another opportunity anyway. I probably could have remained on board with Unilever when the deal was done, at least in a role similar to my current one, but I really had my heart set on my very own sales job.
Have you heard the expression "it's not what you know, it's who you know?" Well, that's true. Knowing someone will help you get a foot in the door to show them what you can do! The man who hired me at Alberto left about two months ago to lead the much larger Coleman Walmart team here in Bentonville, and as luck would have it he had an open sales desk! I'm fortunate that he thought enough of my abilities to give me a call and let me have a crack at it.
For the second time in my career, I actually had two employment offers in front of me at the same time to choose from. The other offer was from a company called Reckitt Benckiser (they make brands like Lysol, Woolite, Resolve, Spray & Wash and Mucinex), and it was for basically the same job that I have now at Alberto.
I went with Coleman for a few reasons, but mainly because it was a "step up" from my current role. The Reckitt job would have involved a move to New Jersey in the not-too-distant future, which didn't help it's case with my family or I. I am also very excited about going to work for my old boss again. He and I get along great, and I'm excited that I already have a "cheerleader" at the company I'm headed to.
Like most people here in Northwest Arkansas, I will be selling only to Walmart and Sam's Club - but I won't actually be selling any Coleman branded stuff. My responsibility will be for their water recreation business - about $70million worth of business yearly. The main brands that I will be selling are:


Stearns Lifejackets.
Hodgman fishing equipment (waders).
and Sevylor inflateable innertubes and ski-gear.
I am very excited about beginning this new chapter in our lives, and I even more excited that I don't have to move this time!!


1 comment:
Congrats Ryan!! That's awesome!!
Post a Comment