Friday, October 5, 2012

Here we go again...

Ethan had his 2nd set of tubes put in on Tuesday, and also his adenoids taken out.  We decided last week to go ahead and do it since his tubes came out in the spring and he's already had 2 ear infections since then - this last one being in the summer - which is supposed to be the time of the least ear infections.  The ENT looked in his ears and even after 10 days of tummy upsetting antibiotics, Ethan still had a ton of fluid behind his ears.  The doc said he thought we could wait but the chance of him getting another ear infection based on the amount of fluid in there was really high.  So Tuesday, Ryan took him to the hospital to have his 2nd surgery.  :( I was planning on taking him but my nerves were totally shot just thinking about this.  Ethan has been really really whiny and clingy lately and quite frankly, it hurts to carry him.  I knew Ryan would do better.  So I stayed home with Jackson.  This  pic is before surgery....
After surgery, the doc came out to talk to Ryan.  He said everything went perfect. The doc also said he was really glad we elected to do the surgery because they grade adenoids when they do this surgery and on a scale of 1-4, (4 being the biggest, most blocking), Ethan's adenoids were a 3.5!  They are almost completely blocking his airway!  My poor baby boy!  I'm glad we did it.
 
Ethan is a real trooper.  Other than not eating, he was totally fine for the first 24 hours.  We even went to my bible study on Wednesday morning!  However, after his nap on Wednesday, a different child emerged.  He was obviously in some pain and quite uncomfortable - with some of the worst breath I have ever encountered!  He wanted to lay on me, attached me (or Ryan), nonstop.  He cried so much that I started dreaming of him crying when he wasn't... It was like a constant ringing in my ears.  We spent Wednesday afternoon, Thursday all day just laying around holding him nonstop.  I've been keeping the IBU going regularly and that does seem to be helping.  He still isn't eating but as of today, he's playing a little bit - but only with me in very close range.  It helps that Jackson is home today and that always cheers Ethan up.  I hope that we're on the upward curve of getting back to normal.  This has been a crazy year for all of us - Jackson's tonsils/adenoids coming out in June, me having all these ultrasounds for the baby, and now Ethan's tubes/adenoids.  We're ready for an easy winter and healthy 2013!!





1 comment:

Meghan said...

I totally get being crazy busy! My 5 year old was allergic to the cold, had folliculitis, molluscum contagiosum and excema at the same time this spring! We were back and forth with him trying to figure out what was going on! A round of suffer antibiotics have cured it all! And adding in taking our youngest back and forth to the Pediatrician for ear infections (6 in 6 months)- we are going in for a tubes consultation Tuesday. I may need your encouragement! I'm so nervous :( Ethan and Jackson are such troopers! So brave!