
I want to start this by saying that I want my blog to be very transparent. I don't want to be that person who only shows the "good stuff" all the time, because that's not real life - at least for us!

With that being said, Jackson is MY kid for sure. When I was a little girl, I got in trouble all the time - specifically in those first 3 or 4 grades in school - for talking too much! HA! Surprise surprise, I like to talk!!! So on the 6th day of class, Jackson's teacher came out to talk to me in the car pickup line. She said Jackson didn't have his "normal" day and wasn't listening to her very well.... and she left me a note in his bag. She said "he's not very happy that I had to write you a note, but we've talked about it and I want you to know that I love Jackson very much." So when I got home and saw this, I was a bit sad to hear my little guy was already disrupting class. I wasn't surprised because during the last month or so before he started school, he was really starting to act up. He wasn't listening to us, wasn't obeying, and I was having to ask him to do things many many times before he'd do it and then he'd do it with a bad attitude. It's just normal stuff for this age. I know that. Jackson is a sweet, loving boy who is learning how his world is all shaped up. He's learning boundaries and where his boundaries are, so of course to do that - one has to test those boundaries! So, I thought about how to fix this.... and I came up a solution. We started a new daily tracking of Jackson's behavior, and so far, so good! Every single morning, he wakes up with a star and if he disobeys, etc, he gets a strike. Each strike has a different consequence - but the first is basically a warning. He also gets rewarded for keeping his star! If he gets consecutive stars, the rewards get better and better. He loves the rewards so much that he genuinely tries to keep his star every day! He has been striving to get 7 days in a row of stars so he can have the friend of his choice over to his house for a playdate. He's doing awesome with this. And he's had only GREAT reviews from his teacher since then!! I'm super proud of my big boy!!

No comments:
Post a Comment