Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Ethan's hearing test.

 
Yesterday, I took Ethan into the ENT to see how bad the damage is of 6 months of fluid in his ears has had on his hearing.  Turns out, it could be much better, and it could be worse.  Ms. Lori was amazing with Ethan and he really loved her.  I am super impressed with the way they do hearing tests for children this age... Ethan wore these headphones and Lori could talk to him thru them.  She set behind the glass and they "played a game."  When he heard the beep, he put a toy into the basket.  He loved it.  He listened and listened til she turned it up loud enough that he heard the beep, and then he tossed it hard into the basket.  He thought it was way cool.  She did a series of tests like this and at the end, we found out his permanent hearing was good, but he definitely has mild hearing loss due to the fluid.  His number was around 35 and Dr. Lee said at 40, they call it "moderate" hearing loss so he was on the border.  So we've decided to schedule the t-tubes for Ethan and get all that fluid drained out.  I'm so grateful he's finally going to feel normal again.  As it stands now, he says he feels ear pain - especially when he blows his nose, loss of balance, loss of appetite, cannot hear when we talk to him.... I don't know the long term effects of having that fluid in his ears this long will be, but I'm hoping these bigger T-Tubes will keep the fluid from building up in there anymore.  Fingers crossed for our baby boy. 

No comments: