Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Big Boy Changes, Week 1

Update: Well, we have some good news and some bad news!
Good News:
1. Jackson does VERY well w/o his paci during the day! I don't think he even needs it unless we're at the gym cuz he's still not completely comfortable there yet. But otherwise, he just uses it to sleep (again, not attempting to break that habit until everything else is done. I need my sleep!).
2. Jackson and I went to the gym yesterday and he only cried the last few minutes (cuz his favorite 2 girls went home). So YAY! We're doing much much better when being away from mommy and daddy....

3. Sippy Cup: Jackson has only received sippy cups during the day - no bottle... He doesn't like it particularly... and isn't really holding his head back to drink of it very well... but he's working on it and doesn't fret too badly with it. I have been keeping a juice cup and a milk cup out for him to drink on... Eventually, I'll just have the juice but for now, we're learning... I think the week after his birthday, I'll cut out the morning bottle and that will be sippy cup only too.
4. MILK: Today Jackson started milk!! He didn't seem to even notice the difference at all... so fingers crossed! YAY for $25/week extra in our pockets! Finally! :)

5. Highchair: Jackson is doing better in his highchair.... He does GREAT w/ his breakfast cuz I put on the Baby Einstein video and he is totally into it. So he just eats his breakfast and watches his show and does great! I'm going to get more of those videos cuz I think he may be tired of Old McDonald on the Farm and Numbers 1-5. haha....
6. Music box: We haven't used it for napping at all and he is napping perfect w/o it... I think tonight, we'll try using it w/o hitting repeat, so then at the end of the month we can try to eliminate it completely...


Bad News:
1. Wake Up Time has creeped up to 545am!!! OK - this is NOT COOL! I am going to take Connie's advice and since we normally used to put him down at 700pm, I'm moving it up 15 min every week slowly... instead of just jumping to 800p. Also, Ry and I have decided that we're not going in to get him until 630am. So he is just chilling in there until 630am... then when I up his bedtime, I'll up the time I go get him... so 730p bedtime, 645am when I go get him (assuming he's awake). Again, trial and error... who knows what will work. I just know that 545am = too early for Keisha!
2. Sippy cup: Ok - so he's not really holding it up... How do I teach him to tilt his head back to drink it!?
3. Daddy's Boy: Ok - so I do like that he's a daddy's boy but lately, it's just getting ridiculous. He's starting to where he cries when he sees Ryan and Ryan isn't holding him... when Ry leaves in the mornings, J freaks out. He screams and watches Ryan out of the window as he drives off crying and just throwing a fit... I mean, wow.

4. Food Throwing: Ok - his new thing is to throw his food on the floor when he's done eating. This is driving me nuts. I have tried the gentle hand slap and say NO very sternly.... nothing works - he laughs when I do that. He's testing me already.. isn't this supposed to happen when they are 2!? Not already.... geez!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try a cup that has a built in straw instead of a sippy cup that way he doesn't have to tilt his head back and he learns how to drink from a straw (two birds with one stone) As for the food throwing...take his food away from him when he throws it. He will get the picture soon enough.

Broc said...

I would start wearing a cut out Ryan mask around the house. I think that might be the only way to break him. You'd also have to be gassy like Ryan so that J-man gets his doses of daddy's essence.

My little sister threw her food too, take it away and he'll figure it out.

Did you get the bubble pics?

Mrs. Meach said...

It took Char a while to learn to tilt her head back too. We definately had better luck with the straws but now sometimes she tries to tilt the straw cup back bc she's used to the sippy cup! He'll get it eventually... then you get to start on cups with no lids!