I knew Jackson's recovery would be rough - I had all the warnings beforehand. So I was prepared. I have been blessed with so many amazing friends and family members who showered us with gifts and dinners during this time. Here's our day-by-day recovery.
Day 2 (Wednesday) Jackson wasn't feeling too bad at all. He wanted to play with the new coloring books that Mimi brought over and he loved the new superhero pillow she had made for him. We played with the new Hot Wheels cars that my friend Kim gave him. We watched lots of the movies we already had and I actually had to tell him to relax and stop running around. He didn't want to eat much but I was able to get a pediasure down him and a few Popsicle and 2 scrambled eggs and a little bit of mac and cheese. Not too bad.
Day 2 was actually our best day.
He had his first chocolate milkshake - and he even had time to pick on his little brother - just like old times.

Day 3 (Thursday) wasn't nearly as fun. He woke up early that morning - around 330am crying and so we gave him some pain meds and put him back to bed til about 6am. On Day 3, he was extra fussy and whiny. I bribed him to get his first pediasure down him by giving him a present from Ben - and he wanted to open it so bad so I set it out in front of him til he finished the pediasure. He was delighted to open a Spiderman pillow, Spiderman comfy blanket and 2 new movies!! He kept saying "that's so nice of Ben to give me that..." Ethan went to Mother's Day Out so he could have some fun... Ryan was helpful to pick him up so I wouldn't have to wake Jackson from his nap. While E was at MDO, Jackson watched both of his Spiderman movies and that kept him very entertained and happy. Overall, he fought food but I was able to get 3 pediasures down him, a little bit of egg and about 7-8 bites of a PB&J (his request). He turned down anything I thought he'd love like ice cream and milkshakes - he wanted no part of anything like that. I think maybe the sugar was hurting his belly... He stayed in a constant state of rest all day... He did take a 4 hour nap that day and I had to wake him up after 4 hours. I stayed on top of his pain meds so he got them as soon as his time was due. I felt really puny all day so that evening, my mom came over, brought pizza and helped out and I went to bed.
Day 4 (Friday) - Jackson woke up crying again - at 230am this time. He was thirsty and said his throat hurt. We threw an enormous tantrum when I tried to give him pain meds - said he didn't want them. Finally got them down him and he went back to sleep til 630am. The morning didn't start out any better as we tried to get more pediasure down him and he just threw a massive freak-out session in his room. He needed to eat something before we could give him the pain meds because the pain meds on an empty stomach was making him nauseous. So we made him drink the pediasure and then he got his pain meds and calmed down. He was pretty quiet all day - he ate little, talked little, drank little - just very uncomfortable. It helped that his friend Cole came over and cheered him up. I let him play outside - nothing too active - for about 30 minutes. I think it was good for him to get some sunshine...And really good for Ethan to get outside for a bit too..

Day 5 (Saturday) - Friday night/Saturday morning, Jackson was up twice asking for medicine because his throat hurt so bad. That morning, my mom came over so I could go help co-host a baby shower for my friend Heather... So I left my whiny boy in my momma's hands til about 4p. She actually got him to eat some and he rested well. She said he did not want to take a nap and actually woke up after about 20-30 minutes because he had a bad dream. He wouldn't go back to sleep.... So I knew we were in trouble that night. Well, we were. Saturday night/ Sunday morning was the worst of all. Actually, probably the worst night we've had since Jackson was about 5 days old and up all night crying. It was miserable - really tested my and Ryan's patience level. He would scream his head off for what seemed like forever - completely unreasonable and inconsolable. Nothing helped - medicine, nothing. He had a runny nose so he couldn't breathe through his nose and his throat hurt so when he breathed out of his mouth, it made him cough - which hurt - which was our vicious cycle. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Miserable night. I hope to never have to repeat that again. The main problem was that he didn't take a nap. This combined with the nose/throat pain and cough - was just too much for my little man. I think Ryan and I had about 3 total hours of broken sleep.... Maybe 30 minute increments. At this point, I was thinking something may be wrong since it just doesn't seem right that after 5 days of this, he seems worse than ever. I just kept praying for that to be the worst it would get and it would only get better...
Day 6 (Sunday) - Sunday morning, Jackson up screaming again at 600am and I just decided it was time to stop trying... So I got him up and brought him downstairs and asked Ryan to put in ear plugs and go back to sleep... at least one of us should be somewhat rested. Jackson and I hung out downstairs. I got some medicine down him again and then after about an hour, I got some "chocolate" sandwich down him - though not willingly again. I sat him down and told him that he is no longer sick. So we aren't going to treat him that way anymore. He is now a big boy and all healed. He seemed to feel relieved by this and I realized that maybe we have actually babied him a little too much. I think he was starting to "act" the role. So all day I treated him like any other day... And he started acting like his normal self. I had to occasionally remind him to drink but we just hung out in the house and he and Ethan played all day and I finally started seeing that light that everyone talked about at the end of this long tunnel....After his nap, daddy had taken Ethan to community group and so I told J since it was just the two of us, we would do some painting... So we painted rainbows and trains and fun stuff.... Sunday night turned out to be much like Saturday night - miserable. I just keep thinking after a week of this - it HAS to get better soon, right?
Day 7 - TODAY - Dear Lord, Please PLEASE PLEEEEASE make this boy sleep at night and feel better so mommy and daddy can be sane again! PLEEEEASE!!!?
No comments:
Post a Comment