
Well folks, it isn't pretty and it's not a proud parent moment, but Ryan and I decided to put diapers back on our baby boy. There's no doubt in my mind that he's capable but he's just not willing. He has zero interest in potty training and could care less about accidents, bribery, or even pleasing anyone else - which makes it tough to potty train him. After a full week of exhaustion staring at my son repeating the phrase "Tell mommy if you need to go potty. Ethan, say POTTY when you need to go... Let's keep our underwear clean and dry!" blah blah... He just wasn't willing to do it. If I took him to the potty every 2 hours or so, he'd go - he'd go perfect everytime. He just wasn't willing to tell us. It's a tough pill to swallow cuz it really feels like we failed - mostly I feel like we failed Ethan. But we just have to be able to go on with our lives and not being able to see a light at the end of the tunnel was hindering us all in this house - emotionally mostly. Ethan seems totally happy and relieved, to be honest. He slept so good last night and woke up smiling and happy and his normal sweet boy self. I fixed my hair for the first time in a week - because I was able to walk away from him to do it! Ryan and I decided that one thing Jackson had on his side when he was potty training that Ethan doesn't - a baby brother to see diapers on. I think once this baby arrives in March, and Ethan sees us calling him "baby" and he sees the diapers, it may really help him understand that diapers belong on babies... and maybe he'll care then. Ethan doesn't turn three until the end of July, so we decided Memorial Day Weekend may be a good time to try this again. For now, our family - all of us - are highly relieved to put this obstacle behind us and be "postponing" it for now. Ethan is such a big stinker. One day we'll look back on this and laugh. :)
On Wednesday I took these pictures of Ethan and it reminded me of another little boy around the same time...
Taken about 2 years apart - Yes, they are wearing the same underwear... we call it our "potty training wear." ha!
Jackson: Nov 2010
Ethan: Jan 2, 2013
No comments:
Post a Comment