Sunday, September 2, 2012

Update on the first 10 weeks!

It happened when it wasn't supposed to - we started trying in April, and May, and June... by July, we had given up.  Trying to make a baby is a bit stressful and as badly as I wanted to expand our family with one more, I wasn't sure it was God's timing... so in July, we had moved on... we didn't talk about it anymore or "plan" for it anymore or anything... Needless to say, I was a bit surprised when I took the first test.  It was a Monday and I wasn't supposed to find out til Thursday, but I couldn't wait. Truth be told, I was feeling quite sick and I wanted to dope up on some Sudafed and Mucinex and something in the back of my mind said "just check first and then take the pills."  I thought my eyes were tricking me because I saw a very very faint line.  So I texted the pic to my friend Darcy - she could see the line.  So I texted it to Ryan.. He said "nope, no line."  So I decided to not take the medicine and try taking the test again the next morning.  The line was distinctly darker.  So my heart was beating very fast when I showed Ryan.  He smiled... he knew.  Finally, on Thursday, I took the "Pregnant/Not Pregnant" one - so there were no questions anymore.  :)  
Well, I'll spare a bunch of details on here, but I had some reasons to be concerned, so I called the doc and asked for an ultrasound when we got back from Gulf Shores.  Longest wait in the whole world.  It was 2 days shy of my 8 wk mark when Ryan and I saw our sweet baby's heartbeat.  It was a moment of such relief and excitement.  But then the tech said she sees a small blood pocket next to the baby... "nothing to worry about..." and "the doc may ask you to come back but it's common, so don't worry."  She said that twice.  Hmm... So we got into the doc and he said he is "only worried that you're worried."  He also said it usually isn't anything but he wants to look again in 2 weeks.  
My 2nd appt fell exactly on the morning that Ryan was leaving for Michigan for his annual golf trip with his best friend Mike.  So my incredibly generous friend Jenny offered to get a babysitter for her own kids and come along with me.  I was grateful to have her there with me... The first thing I asked the tech was "please just tell me there is a heart beating."  She gives us this amazing visual of my adorable baby - looking much much more like a baby now - dancing around like crazy shaking his/her little arms and legs with a heart beating at 177!  It felt amazing to see the baby appearing quite happy and healthy!  I measured in at 10 wks, 3 days but I was just 9 wks, 6 days... Baby is growing!  However, the blood pocket was unchanged.  So we'll be going back again in 2 weeks for another ultrasound.  My doc wants it to diminish - basically the body should reabsorb it but it needs to not grow bigger and it needs to stay away from the baby.  So I have firm orders of no lifting, no exercise and no hanky panky.  I know this is going to be ok.  I really do.  I know the baby will be fine and at my next appt, they will say the pocket is smaller, if not gone.  :)  I'll just be grateful for the chance to have seen my precious little baby 3 times in my first trimester!
I would post my ultrasound pics but unfortunately, my brand new scanner has flashing error lights blinking and despite my attempts to resolve the problem via the "troubleshooting" manual, it says I must need a service call.  :(  Maybe next time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So EXCITED!!!!! Congrats!!! And lots of prayers for Baby and Momma!! I know all will go as planned!! God is Good!!! Love you Keisha!!