Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Potty Training Update

Well, it's been one week since we started potty training Ethan.  I'd love to say that it's gone as well as it did with Jackson, but sadly, it hasn't.  Ethan is doing well - for the most part - but in typical Ethan style, he's not going to be molded to do anything he isn't interested in doing.  And clearly, he's not interested in potty training.  He's MORE THAN capable and has had many moments of celebration but at the end of the day, Ryan and I are scratching our heads saying "why in the world won't he just tell us when he needs to go?"  He talks non stop.  He has no problem telling me he needs food, drink or to go outside and play.... He even tells me when his tummy hurts or his brother stole his train.... but that he needs to go potty?  Nope.  If I watch him LIKE A HAWK, I can pick up on the signs.  Right at the moment he needs to go, he will give you a "look."  Assuming you're looking at him (like Ryan was nonstop for those 3 days), you can scoop him up and take him to the potty and he'll go and he'll be so happy that he is going to get M&M's.... but if you aren't looking at him at that very moment, he'll just let it all out right there - and then go about his business playing.  He doesn't care that he's walking around in wet underwear... not this kid.  He is just fine.  He hasn't even done the "uh-oh..." or any kind of regretful comment after he's had an accident.  He just seems unfazed by it.  I really wish I could explain this.... but Ryan and I have re-read the book and everything and found a few things we could've done differently, but to be completely honest, I don't have the energy to continue to watch him like a hawk!  I've already neglected Jackson, my house, myself enough by having to watch Ethan as closely as I do... and trekking it up and down the stairs all day long... it's just too much for me at this point in my life.  I can't keep up with him anymore!  The nights are the worst - in 7 nights, he only kept dry one night - so every single night we were up there changing sheets, sometimes twice... The terrible part of this is that his little skin can't take all the pee.  He has a horrible rash on his legs and bottom where he's had so many accidents... so against Ryan's wishes, I insisted on a pull up last night.  Ryan feels like this means we failed somehow... but I just can't allow my boy to sit in his wet underwear all night long knowing it chapping his legs so bad - and let's face it, he doesn't understand what's really going on when he's in a deep sleep.  I know I've focused on the negatives here - but he's had so many positives too!  He holds his pee for a "full pee" now - which is something he had to learn to do... before, he just dribbled all day long because that's what he was used to.  He also has had many times where he's started to pee, stopped and gave me the look and we ran to the potty and he's gone perfectly.... So that's a good sign we're going in the right direction.  He's just never SAID "potty" or anything close to that.  He has all the signs that he can and just doesn't want to.  This shouldn't be a big surprise to us - Ethan's done everything in his life on HIS terms all along - since he was born (including his delivery!).  We're not giving up - I'm not considering this a failure, but I am nervous about how to progress this along... It feels like we've been stuck in this rut for awhile now... SO opposite of Jackson's potty training experience... and in case you're wondering, Jackson potty trained in three days (that's it) and he was 2 yrs, 6 mos old.  Ethan is 2 yrs, 5 mos old... so basically it's the same deal... but for some reason, opposite results.    I am hoping we start seeing some progression soon - this is exhausting!  I dreamed last night about potty training Ethan!  I don't think I even went all the way to sleep because I was worried in my semi-conscience state that if I "looked away" he'd have an accident.   UGH!  So far today, he's gone once in the potty, after a tiny dribble in his underwear - and only after I noticed the dribble and walked him to the potty to finish... but I'm still hoping he'll start telling me soon!  We aren't going back so we can only go forward!  Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Connie said...

It is for sure NOT a failure! We kept pull-ups on both kids and eventually Lauren just started waking up dry on her own. Colton is 3 and is 50/50 at night. So don't worry...it will all happen in time and he for sure won't go to kindergarten in a pull up so just let E figure it all out on his own time. You guys are great parents! Love ya!

carolsue said...

Aside from the personality differences, as you pointed out: Jackson was 2yrs.6mos. Ethan is 2yrs.5mos. That's a lot at this stage of the game. Both of my boys were 32 months old before I considered them trained. Keep as vigilant as you can and just keep breathing. And tell Ryan that no one is a failure because the training didn't happen in 3 days! xoxoxo