Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Upper GI

I dreaded this morning like crazy but I'm glad it's done! Last night, we put Ethan to bed at 830pm knowing that he won't be able to eat after 330am because his procedure was at 730am and no food or drinks for 4 hours before.... So sure enough - poor guy woke up coughing his head off at 430am and try as we may, he didn't want to go back to sleep - he wanted that bottle! But we couldn't give it to him and sure enough, Ryan was able to rock him back to sleep. We've been trying to teach him to not need a bottle at night anyway but this time we didn't have a choice. So then 630am rolled around and Ethan and Jackson were still asleep.... I had to wake Ethan up - at the last minute since I knew he'd be so hungry when he woke up.... He was still drowsy, and he slept most of the time til his procedure. But when he finally opened those big eyes, we were still in the waiting room and he was HUNGRY! Thank God for pacifiers! Finally about 815am, they called us back. The nurse said she needed me to take anything that had metal on it off him... wish I would have known that since the onesie he had on had snaps on the back. So I had to take that off and put this huge hospital gown thing on him and I covered him w/ a blanket. They had me set him on the table on a pillow and gave me a bottle and told me the stuff in it has absolutely no nutritional value but he was so hungry, he didn't care. I stood at the head of the table and reached over and fed him the bottle while the doctor looked at the scans on this big TV thing. It was unreal how you could see the fluids going down his esophagus and then in his tummy. They had me turn him back and forth on his side and again on his back - which he didn't appreciate at all. Then after about 2 minutes, they said to stop. He wanted to see Ethan's stomach empty - which it did. So he said that was good. Then he wanted to see the reflux. So I started feeding him again. He said most of the time, they don't see it happening but in the "bad cases" you can see it and he could get a picture of it for the pediatrician. So I stopped feeding him - he had probably taken about a half to 1 oz total. You could see on the scan how all the liquid had filled his tiny stomach and we just waited for a second - another thing that Ethan didn't appreciate... that paci was not doing the trick to fulfill his hunger needs. After less than a minute after we stopped feeding him, fluid just FLEW up Ethan's esophagus. It was crazy! He snapped the picture and said, "ok-we're done. His organs look perfect but he most definitely has reflux. I got the picture so I'll put my notes in and send this over to your doc in 30 minutes." So I put Ethan's clothes back on and finally he starts screaming. He's tired of waiting and he's hungry! At this point, it's been 12 hours since he's eaten! So I rush him home and he gobbles up 4 oz of formula and was ready for a nap. Poor guy had a rough morning. I'm thankful that we know Ethan's internal organs are ok and working properly but I'm sad to hear how bad his reflux is. It's no wonder that he doesn't want to eat after 1/2 oz sometimes - that's about when his reflux kicks in and it burns! Poor baby boy. Everyone says he'll grow out of it on his own... I pray they're right.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

Oh! Poor baby!! That had to have been a trying time for sure! Glad it's just reflux, but I know that's still miserable for him. :(
Love you!! Neat that you got to see the scan too so you really know what's happening in there. And a least it's an answer. Praying for his comfort and God's healing!! Love you guys!!